Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Booking our flight....

About a month agao, after finding the flight I wanted, at the price I thought was reasonable, I booked the flight to North Carolina. After making the reservation and paying for it on-line, I found I could not advise the airline that I would be taking a service dog with me in the cabin. So, I called the company.

I tried to explain why I was calling, but it was almost impossible to get my information across. I asked where the person to whom I was speaking, was located - Manila. Okay - could I talk to some one at the airline in the USA, I asked. I was told to hold on while I was connected.

A nice lady came on the line but again, there was a language barrier in place. I tried to explain why I had called - regarding the service dog on the flight I was taking. I was told that that was okay, it would be noted that I was taking a dog on board. I read her the instructions on-line and asked her to tell me what paperwork I needed to show the airline as the on-line site did not specify. She asked what type of service dog I had and was I blind. Nope, says I, I am reading to you from the web site - definitely not blind. She asked if I was deaf, nope again, as I am actually talking on the telephone and not through a TTY.

I asked where she was located - Jamaica. Nice weather? I ask. In turn she tells me to take the doctor who originally "ordered" the service dog, to the airport with me so that "the doctor (could) validate that this dog was the one he ordered and give the reason for his original order". I asked if I could simply take the paper work instead but she was adamant that I needed to take the doctor. Okay - we are off to a great start here and I think I shall call back closer to the time we are going to travel to make sure Makeetah is listed as being in the cabin.

No comments: