Sunday, June 15, 2008

An upcoming road trip

The next two weeks will be hectic and this post is to try out this blog so that we can use it as an update for a trip to NC and back.

My friends Caren and Pete left to go to Cancun for their wedding anniversary today. They left behind four Chessies for me to watch and their Denali (well it *is* a fun vehicle to drive). They return at 10:30 on June 22. I will drive the dogs to the airport and hand them over to Pete, who will then drive his vehicle and his dogs home to the foothills. Then after having grabbed the baggage and Makeetah, Caren and I will then board a red-eye flight to NC at midnight. We arrive in Asheville, NC, at noon the following day.

The next 24 hours will be filled with checking my daughter's packed trucks - two 26 footers from a rental company, a Tahoe, a Toyota 4x4 and a pickup truck which will be hauling the three-horse trailer.

The convoy will be comprised of two Friesian horses, four Dobermans, two - or maybe three cats, a household and a full barn - and of course Makeetah.

Our plan is to travel along I-40 back to CA. I would love to stop in Texas to meet Roy Hughes and his family and of course see the rescue ranch. However, there will be four drivers, two vehicles pullings trailers (one for the horses and one for the Toyota) and timing is going to be interesting. The furthest I have ever hauled horses was about 1000 miles. This is going to be one long trip!

I hope we are all prepared, first aid kit, maps, GPS, cell phones and chargers, cameras and chargers, clothes, paperwork for Makeetah to travel in the cabin with us, AAA card and laptop.

So this is our first test road trip post....

No comments: